You’ve probably been somewhere in the past and seen some really great looking oak flooring in Perth, and have now come to a point in your life when you need to get new flooring and are thinking of having the same.
Naturally, it is going to be most important for you to know all there is to know and then simply choose the best option. (Even though you might be somewhat tempted to select a colour and plank size, which perfectly suits your home or workplace décor!)
To get the ideal flooring you should first fully understand specific features about wood floors and how they react under different conditions.
- You will need to be familiar with woods dimensional stability.
- This refers to how a certain type of wood will react to changes in humidity.
- Every single kind of wood expands and contracts with the different changes in humidity.
Although, saying that, there are particular kinds of wood which are extremely stable and expand and contracts significantly less than other varieties.
Where in Your Home Will it be installed?
- If you’re going to be using air conditioning and/or a humidifier to keep a steady flow of humidity in the home, you can then make use of a less stable wood.
- Whereas any timber flooring which will be exposed to the elements or laid upon basement concrete floors, should be a stronger and more stable kind of wood.
Any type of heavy foot traffic zones, should be installed with the strongest wood possible, while lower traffic areas can make use of a softer type.
- Try comparing a particular wood’s hardness with its dimensional stability, and then choose three or four types and later break them down to one which is perfect and ideally fits your flooring needs.
And you should be aware that the strongest woods, will not inevitably also possess the best dimensional stability for a room, so understand that it is vital for you to figure out everything carefully.
- Your floor provider will be more than willing to help you out with any queries and put your mind at rest.
One More Option
Also, there is the modern option of what is called “engineered hardwood”.
- This flooring material is made up especially for anywhere which has a high moisture content.
- It is manufactured with a core that contains a thin layer of wood facade on the top and a thin layer of real hardwood.
- Engineered flooring offers more stability when it comes to things such as moisture, and works out more affordable.
- However, don’t forget that veneer types cannot be sanded down or refinished like a real solid hardwood floor can.
If you wish to know more about wood timber floors, simply consult with specialists in flooring in Melbourne, and in no time at all, you will also have a head turning great looking wooden floor looking up at you!